Skip navigation

Serving Colorado Springs and the surrounding area


24 Hour Emergency Service


Carbon Monoxide and Heating: Take Preventive Measures

Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous substance that you want to keep out of your home at all costs. And while it is produced by your heating system, there are measures in place to keep it away from your living space. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide leaks do happen, but there are simple steps you can take to protect your family.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas. Any gas system that uses the combustion process for heating—like your oven or your furnace—produces carbon monoxide as a byproduct of heating. However, appliances that use gas are designed to vent this CO and other byproducts (water vapor, etc.) away from the home.

The Role of the Heat Exchanger

As the gas ignites, the heat is transferred to a heat exchanger, while the byproducts (like CO) move to the top of the heat exchanger and out through a hole at the top. The hole leads to a vent flue so that the byproducts can vent out of and away from the home.

Cracks in the Heat Exchanger

The heat exchanger is built for durability, but there is a possibility that all of the heat it takes on over the years may eventually cause it to crack. It could also crack if your technicians are not careful during service, or if you hire amateurs for repair or installation. Carbon monoxide can slowly leak into your living space, and this toxic gas can lead to illness or even death.

Schedule Inspections

Regular inspections of your heating equipment can help to catch carbon monoxide leaks early on, so that you can replace the heat exchanger or the whole system and avoid a scary health hazard. We recommend calling technicians in at the beginning of the heating season, but it’s never too late to protect your family and take the proper preventative measures.

Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide detectors around the home alert you to any potential leaks, so that you and your family can feel safe. You must have a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of the home, so call a technician to install one if you don’t already have them. In addition, test them every few months, and change the batteries as needed.

Call the Colorado Springs heating experts at Robbins Heating & Air Conditioning for maintenance and more!

Comments are closed.